Summary: The purpose of the competition is to select an optimal plan to create a cultural park consisting of a complex of an exhibition and educational facilities and a columbarium to commemorate and share the pain of Sewol ferry disaster victims. The competition should also be an opportunity to contemplate and discuss how the disaster should be remembered.
Description: This design competition is set up in two stages. It is open to domestic and international experts in the field of architecture and landscape architecture as individuals or teams.
In brief, the objective and character of the urban design solution for 416 Memorial Park are as follows:
— A space of remembrance and respect for life
• Education and action programs will be incorporated to ensure that the memory of 4·16 lives on.
• The memorial park shall act as a focal point continuously carrying out discussions on life and
— A space for recognition and raising issues
The memorial park shall become a space where visitors raise questions on the state’s
responsibility for people’s right to life and recognize the sense of solidarity that builds up in the face of
— A space for mourning and commemoration
The memorial park shall go beyond the modern concept of seeing life and death as two
completely separate things. Rather, it shall connect and remember death with present life.
416 Memorial Park shall be a space where:
• the daily life of the park and social memories of the disaster coexist
• exhibitions producing and displaying 4·16-related contents take place
• the remains of Sewol ferry victims may lay in peace
• education induces discussions on life and safety
• cultural events with citizen participation are hosted.
Find all the information about this competition at the competition official website!