Summary: This design competition aims to obtain creative and sophisticated design works with an international sense to establish The Library of SONGDO International City as an intellectual and cultural symbol of the Songdo citizens for progressing as an international city.
Description: The purpose of this competition is to re-organize to be an sustainable culture space with publicity as well as a local identification, and not just an independent structure, that is based on creative ideas for a spatial challenge as its location feature and as a library through understanding the urban and architectural context of IFEZ(Incheon Free Economic Zone) Songdo International City.
Following the design guidelines of:
1) City view that puts together the local architecture, urban history and future
2) Spatial and urban engagement and expandability as a complex cultural space
3) Securing the optimal design quality through integrated designing
4) Facility planning for everyone
5) Design to create pleasant environments and reasonable(sustainable) energy use.
Participation eligibility criteria:
1) For Korean architects, it shall be an architect, completing the business registration and running the business pursuant to the 「Certified Architects Act)」 of Korea as of the date of the notification and the architect shall be running an architectural business with no cause of disqualification pursuant to the relevant laws and regulations.
2) In the case of foreign architects, they shall be a qualified architect according to the laws of their countries by the time of the announcement date, and if winning, they will be able to conclude a service contract only if they have formed a joint body with a qualified Korean architect according to the related laws.
Download the competition brief and read more about this open call here.